Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Growth, Romans 8

I for a long time I've been asking myself, "What does growth look like?" That may be a strange question, but it has been something I've been thinking about since I started my graduate work. And the funny thing is after a few years thinking about it I honestly still have a lot of questions. But here is what I've learned:

1. All growth is spiritual growth. Our lives can't be compartmentalize into religious and secular, i.e. learning to budget is still spiritual growth.
2. Letting the scriptures guide my relationships produces emotional health.
3. Most of my growth has been the result of transitions or to put it plainly, suffering.
4. Relationships should be opportunities for people to experience acceptance.
5. We should respond to difficult situations by obeying scripture. I believe that when a person obeys scripture's teachings when they are suffering, God is putting them on the fast track to spiritual growth.
6. I've learned that we should accept things we can not change and seek God's grace for strength.

The Greek word here for glory is the same for image. Romans 8:17 "Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory (image)."
Responding right to suffering makes us more like Christ.

Man was perfect in the beginning with God. Man fell away from God shortly thereafter. God's plan of redemption is God's restorative work to make us more of our true selves. In short, By obeying scripture's principles in every situation we are being transformed into Christ's image and becoming more of our true selves.

0 Responded: